Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I Love...I Hate...

In high school I was a master bullshitter--seriously, the best. The only class I ever really studied for was French and sometimes history, essays were written the night before (or morning of) and my best friend Erika and I were pros at divvying up necessary reading or copying AJ's economics/government homework. For the most part, classes were boring and a huge waste of time...I didn't want to sit there and listen to incompetent teachers talk about what they didn't even understand themselves and I found it difficult to sit still for so many hours...it would be quite appropriate to compare my attention span to that of a 5-year-old. I much preferred to spend my time in the College Center taking naps on the couch or making paper chains and decorations for various holidays. "Our Spot" in a second floor hallway and ironically next to the South House office was another favorite area; being friends with the South House principal, nurse and all the hall monitors was helpful in not getting sent where I was really supposed to be. So given my impressive commitment to high school academia, I surprise even myself at what a responsible (and I'd go so far as to say devoted) college student I've become. Whereas in high school it was easier to list the teachers I liked (a scant 5-sh), college flipped that and it's quicker to list the professors I've despised (maybe 2). What an accomplishment (on SUNY New Paltz's part).

So what's the point of this blog? Good question. I've been severly disgusted by the news lately (why are people going on killing sprees?!) so I couldn't find much that I was motivated to offer my "insightful" commentary on (shocking, I know). But I wanted to post an update since the whole point of me starting this blog was to force myself to write on a regular basis. So this is where the above confession fits in.

One of my favorite professors, Larry Carr, is the most adorable little man and after taking two of his classes I actually learned a lot about writing creatively. One exercise he made us do was relatively enjoyable (for an assignment) and I figured I'd recreate it here to share a bit more of myself. He had us list 10 things we love and 10 things we hate. Then we moved things around and created a list poem. It sounds stupid but you'd be surprised what you come up with and how it really helps turn something basic into a creative work of art. Feel free to try it yourself and post it as a comment. And FYI, I think I programmed my settings so that you don't have to create an account to comment, so you people should humor me and stop being shy and leave me some entertainment. Thanks! =)

I love Fur with his distinctive personality, rough pink tongue, curiously cute kitty breath, shiny black coat and soulful green eyes.
I love breathing hard, pushing myself to go farther while my joints scream at me to stop as I run through the streets of Albany.
I love laying outside and feeling my skin turn to a deep bronze.
I love dark roast coffee with skim milk and splenda, iced in the summer.
I love my ridiculous taste in television and music--reality, Disney, drama; R&B/hip-hop, country, rock.
I love living in the center of a bustling, polluted city; cows and mountains just don't cut it.
I love my mother's cooking and nightly family dinners.
I love watching my favorite movies over and over and over and...
I love talking.
I love abandoning feminity and becoming an overly obsessed football fanatic--go Bills!


* * * * * * *

I hate most people--selfish, ignorant, annoying, egotistic, hot messes.
I hate
snaps--yes, the kind on coats, pants, purses, onesies.
I hate brushing my teeth within 10 feet of someone else; something about it grosses me out.
I hate when my head invites migraines to visit; throbbing in my temples, at the back of my head, behind my eyes.
I hate when people walking in front of me think it's okay to walk at .00008 miles an hour--c'mon, speed it up!
I hate commercials, the biggest and most repetitive waste of time ever.
I hate sand and saltwater, the way it coats skin and gets everywhere.
I hate thunderstorms that make me hide under the covers, no matter the weather, until they pass.
I hate how my bladder can't hold pee for more than an hour at a time.
I hate how people who don't speak English are taking over our country, and more specifically, NEW PALTZ!

1 comment: